Monday, October 13, 2008

Now They've Done It or My Future Weight Gain

Rumors have been circulating around here for months. "A Cracker Barrel is going to be built off I-35," people would say. I would cringe each time I heard it. "I hope they never do," I would reply. Most people would look at me like I was from Mars. I can almost hear them thinking, "Is he nuts, we need more good restaurants around here."

I couldn't agree with them more. Chain restaurants have been popping up all over the area for the past 4-5 years. It's been great for our community.

I found out last week a Cracker Barrel opened up down the road about 1/2 an hour away. I was somewhat relieved at that news. "It's just far enough away," I thought to myself. *whew*

My relief was short-lived, though. Last Monday I noticed a new building being framed out on my way to work. Nothing unusual these days. Even though times are rather tough for construction crews new stuff is still going up all around the area. The day after I saw that frame going up there was the tell-tale sign that a Cracker Barrel was, indeed, going up in our town. There were a dozen or so working bricking up the signature fireplace and chimney which is the central part of any Cracker Barrel restaurant.

I'm done for.

This is terrible. I might as well start buying bigger clothes now. My bank account will be drained. Life as I know it will end.

You see, it's not that I don't like Cracker Barrel. Quite the opposite: I like the place way too much. I can hardly drive by a Cracker Barrel on the highway without stopping. The temptation is sometimes too great and I will go gorge myself with Uncle Hershel's favorites or the Country Boy breakfast even if I'm not particularly hungry. I can almost smell the bacon, gravy, biscuits - I'm salivating here just thinking about it. 

With one on the way to work, how will I be able to resist? What was once a treat to make a day trip or a great vacation even better will become an obsession, almost a curse. How can I resist those tempting goodies? Eggs to order with cheesy hash browns, wheat toast to dunk into my over medium eggs...

I'm done for.

No comments:

Post a Comment