Sunday, January 07, 2007

Everyday Heroes

Of all the events in the news this past week, three really got me thinking: 1. The New York Subway Hero, 2. The two guys who caught the baby who fell off a fire escape from the 5th floor of a building, and 3. All the people who stopped to help those caught in the Colorado Avalanche.

These stories really got me thinking: "Why don't we hear about this kind of thing more often?" I could make a "knee-jerk" reaction and blame the media. But, are they totally to blame for the lack of good-news stories or is there just not enough good news going around?

My hope is these stories will galvanize regular folks to take time out of their lives to touch the lives of other people. I know people in the U.S. are the most generous in the world donating money to help those caught in natural disasters and the like. It would take us to the next level when people will start the make the larger step from anonymous donation to stepping in and helping people where they are face to face. I believe this kind of action will take us down a road to a place where we won't need to should shout, "Where is the government with my check" when something happens. People won't need "Big Daddy" government to help them because their neighbors will have already taken care of their needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment