Friday, February 26, 2010

Book Review: "Winston Churchill" Christian Encounters Series by John Perry

Sir Winston Churchill is, no doubt, one of the leading figures of the 20th Century. His place in history as a great leader is without question. I had never considered that Churchill might be a man of faith, at least not how I've traditionally thought one might be.

In this book, John Perry does show Sir Winston to be a man of faith, though not in a way one might consider. He was very introspective and firmly believed he had been born and taken along a path which led to his eventual landing in the Prime Minister's office at just the right time in history to lead the free world to victory against Nazi tyranny in World War II.

That he believed in God is without question. Whether his belief qualifies as a "Christian Encounter" is quite something else. While Perry's effort is an excellent, well written and well documented short biography of Churchill's life, I'm not quite convinced it belongs in this type of series. Still, I'm glad I read it.

My favorite quote from the book: "I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Churchill said this towards the end of his life. It illustrates the wit of this great man.

If you've never read an account of Sir Winston's life, then this book is certainly for you. It whet my appetite for more reading on the life of this inspiring and storied man. For that reason I recommend it highly.

Disclaimer: I am a member of Thomas Nelson's Book Review Blogger program. Although Thomas Nelson Publishing provided the book at no cost to me, this review is my honest opinion of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment