Monday, January 12, 2009

What's In My CERT Bag?

On Saturday I tweeted that I was repacking my CERT kit into an old XL Army rucksack. A couple of folks tweeted back to ask what I had in my bag. It's a little too long to tweet, so I'll make the list here.

The stuff in the bag is mostly stuff provided by the CERT group I belong to. They provided a nice back pack, but it was too small for my taste as I have a tendency to over-pack. I plan to add some stuff of my own as time goes on. 

For now, here's what I have in the bag:
  • 2 Reflective Vests (1 green and 1 yellow)
  • 1 Roll Yellow Caution Tape
  • 1 Hard Hat
  • 1 Roll Duct Tape (the handyman's secret weapon)
  • 1 Pair Gloves
  • 1 Pair Safety Goggles
  • 1 Gas Main Shutoff Tool
  • 1 Pry Bar
  • 1 Pair Knee Pads
  • 50 feet 1/4-inch Nylon Rope
  • 1 Green Glow Stick
  • 1 Particulate Mask
  • 3 125ml Pouches of Survival Water
  • 1 37X37X37 Bandage (good for slings)
  • 3 "Ace" style bandages
  • 84X52 inch metallic survival blanket
  • 1 4 oz. Bottle Hydrogen Peroxide
  • 1 "Blood Stop" Trauma Dressing
  • 4 4X4's
  • 1/4 oz. Pouch of SPF 30 Sun Block
  • 1 Pr. "EMS" Scissors
  • 1 Roll 1/2" Medical Tape
  • 11.75 inch Trauma Dressing
  • 1 Flashlight
  • 1 Multi-tool
  • 1 non Load-Bearing Carabiner
  • 1 Backpack
  • 1 CERT Operating Guide by J.L. Darling Corporation
    www.riteintherain.com
  • 2004 DOT HAZMAT Emergency Response Guide
  • 1 Whistle
  • 1 Yellow Lumber Crayon
This is certainly not the end-all be-all list of what one could carry. It's just what I've gathered or have been given so far. I'm still considering what else I might need. Our CERT trailer is very well stocked with supplies which frees me to need much less in my personal bag.

With the larger rucksack I have room for extra clothes, food, water, etc. if I need to have them. I also have lots of nice attachments to hang things on, like my amateur radio HT. I think this bag will work better if I actually have to stay somewhere for a while; as in in a search and rescue scenario. If needed, I can also grab just a few things and put them in the other backpack if that is more appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment