Thursday, May 07, 2009

Disappointment With Norton Internet Security 2009

I needed to update my antivirus software. Since I prefer Symantec products, I checked online and found Norton Internet Security 2009 for what I considered a good price.

The operating system on my computer is Windows XP 64-bit.

When I tried to install the Norton software on my computer, I got an error message indicating the software didn't support my operating system. I've had XP 64-bit long enough to know what was going on. I figured a quick visit to Symantec's web site would get me an update or a compatible install package. I found nothing.

I clicked over to the contact page and tried the online chat. Here is disappointment number 1 - the chat required an Active-X control; which, of course, required Internet Explorer (not Chrome or Firefox) and Windows (Mac and Linux folks are not covered here).

I take the few minutes and install the Active-X control and start my chat session. Here is disappointment number 2 - the operator I chatted with told me no Symantec product supports Windows XP 64-bit. Although this is disappointing enough, the thing which really got me was there is absolutely no indication of this on the box. Here is what is printed on the box for system requirements verbatim:

Windows® Vista Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate***
Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 Home/XP Pro/Media Center Edition
  • 300 MHz or higher processor
  • 256 MB of RAM
  • 200 MB of available hard disk space
*** Must meet minimum Windows Vista operating system requirements

As you can see, there's no mention of supporting only 32-bit Windows XP. The operator rightly pointed out that Symantec's web site points out in many places that Windows XP 64-bit is not supported. But, that doesn't do anyone who's buying elsewhere any good. That fact needs to be prominently mentioned on the box.

Come on, Symantec, you have been in the business long enough that this kind of oversight is unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment